The Elrod Update

Thursday, August 17, 2006

First Day of School

This past Monday, August 14th, was the first day of school for the boys. Matthew is 8 years old and in the 3rd grade. Grant is 5 years old and in Kindergarten.


Chris and I drove them to school the first morning. We took Matthew to his class first and got him settled. His teacher's name is Mrs. Edmiston. He didn't want me to take a picture of him outside of the classroom underneath the "Welcome" sign. Daddy said he was growing up and that wasn't so cool to do! He reluctantly, however, let me take a picture of him at his desk before we left the room.


Then we were off across the hall to Grant's classroom. I felt myself tensing up and walking slower as we approached the Red Hall. I was about to turn my baby loose in Big Boy School for good. Grant eagerly jumped in front of the "Welcome" sign outside his classroom to have his picture made.


We walked in the classroom and put his lunch bag in his cubby hole. Then we sat down at his table. His mood began to change....


As it became clearer to him that we were about to leave, he began crying.... I wanted to do the same. He buried his head in my shoulder and said "I don't want to go to school!" I wanted to grab him up and take him home right then!!


We got up from the table and walked around the room looking at all the things the teacher had. We found a book that I had read to him the night before..."The Night Before Kindergarten". Grant thought that was neat that his teacher had the same book that we do. We walked back to his table and got him seated. He began coloring in the color book that was on the table. I told him to use the green crayon because that's one of Mommy's favorite colors. His teacher, Mrs. Jones, came over and talked to him for a minute, too....gave him some reassurance that he was going to have a great day. After giving Grant hugs and kisses, Chris and I reluctantly left the room. I held back my tears until I was out the front doors of the school. Chris rubbed my back and asked if I was okay. I said "No". I cried all the way home. That's my baby! My last one! What was I doing leaving him at school?? I was so sad all day on Monday. It was so lonely at home... and quiet! I couldn't wait until 2 pm to go pick him up. Matthew wanted to ride the bus home, but Grant didn't. When Grant got in the car after school, he was so excited to show me the stickers that he had got from his teacher. He had a good first day!! Matthew didn't have much to say, but he had a good first day, too. And so begins another school year....

3 Comments:

Blogger Margo said...

Oh Cathy!

I know how hard it must have been!

I always thought I would have had more children by now, so I wasn't as sentimental about this kind of stuf.. Now I was I had been!

8/17/2006  
Blogger Megamom said...

Awww! Ariana starts k this year too but she is beyond excited, so i doubt we will see much tears.

8/18/2006  
Blogger Cristy said...

Last year when we took Blake and Claire to Kindergarten I remember how nervous I was all day. (and remember they only went half a day). This year was much easier, partly because they were so excited.

8/21/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home